Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Much Belated Rambly Post on the End of the Semester

We made it! The last 2 weeks were rough but we made it through, woot!

July 12 I had 2 interviews for internships for the fall - one with Upper Valley Resource and Counseling Center (UVRCC) and one with Fremont County Juvenile Probation. I felt really good about the probation interview and was hoping really hard for it .. but I got a call the next day with the typical "it was a close decision but.." The supervisor at UVRCC offered me a spot and I eventually decided to take it and cancelled an additional interview with the Juvenile Corrections Center (JCC).

I just really wanted a completely different internship than the one I just finished. UVRCC does mental health and addiction recovery counseling like Club, Inc., but also does parenting classes and has a developing program in which the interns (there are quite a few: 6-8 social work, sociology, and psychology students instead of being on my own at Club) teach social skills, etc, in local public schools, whereas Club's difference is their homeless shelter program. I wanted the probation job because I would have been checking on troublesome kids at home and school, going to court with them, etc - totally different from shadowing individual and group counseling again..

Of course, then again, UVRCC is close - only 5 minutes away instead of Probation's 20 min or Club's 45 min. I have been informally offered a PSR position when I get my diploma and license at Club, but I've also been given a tip that UVRCC hires their interns frequently and 5 min away from my house is nicer than 45, lol. We shall see.

July 13 I had a job interview at Melaleuca and was overly confident about it. Didn't get it - I think because I didn't tell them that I was gonna stay there infinitely.. Stupid of me for thinking that they only cared that I spoke 2 languages they want, had higher than average scores on the typing and 10-key tests they gave me at the interview, and am available for full-time.. Checked on other jobs I'd applied for but they'd been filled. So back to square one.

I guess maybe I'm being picky or stuck-up, but I just don't want to work at the only available jobs in Rexburg .. call centers and fast food. I'm turning 26 next month, I almost have a legitimate degree, and I don't want to work in crud jobs with high-schoolers anymore! Even if I could get a job that's a demi-step up, that would be nice. So it's back to square one there and I'll be working on apps so that I'm not sitting around and mooching off Jed all summer and fall as a repeat of last year. ugh..

July 13 was also the last night of swing dancing for the semester. I had only been twice in the semester before that so I've been very out of practice. I was really bummed to find out that my partner, Will, was graduating and if I'd known, I would have made myself have time to have a performance group with him since it was probably my last ever chance. He was the best dance partner I've had, although I also loved dancing, teaching, performing, and competing with Mark, Stu, and Marty. But Will and my dance styles meshed so perfectly. Darn him for moving back to Texas. :( But all-in-all it was a fun night and the first time in 5 days I had put full weight on my busted toe .. which hurt a lot, but you gotta do what chu gotta do!


July 14 I redid my sofa!!! Since I was doing all my studying on it, I finally got sick enough of the itchy cover and uncomfortable pillows.

the cover the couch had when we moved in

what was underneath the cover - eeps!

oh now that's better - suadey soft and not itchy like the previous cover.
this will do until we get our own couch!

I happily got my laptop back after it's 2.5 week absence - and just in time to do my final papers! I then promptly got a virus by downloading the wrong "Open Office," which made me feel like an idiot since I am so careful to avoid anything that looks risky. guh.. But I'm really glad that Jed, Taylor, and some others at ElGene's were able to get my files off the old harddrive before it completely broke. So now I have my third harddrive for this laptop and I will be looking to get a new lappy sometime in the next year.

mmm, the chaos of finals..

Finals week was filled with getting a lot of papers in and running around to various offices to make sure everything was square. For one of my classes we did a food drive instead of a final test and collected over 2580 items for the Family Crisis Center in town, which was pretty sweet.

I ended up with a 3.87 GPA for my 3 classes, internship, and accompanying seminar (15 credits). That's pretty awesome but I was shooting for a 4.0 for my final semester of undergrad classes and I blew it not turning in a couple assignments on time when I was sick during finals week. I also blew my goal to have perfect attendance the last couple weeks of class because I was burnt out, lol. Oh well, good try.

Since Isaura was graduating, Sheree and I went out with her, got some Coldstone, walked around and chatted up a storm. I honestly thought we were only gonna be out a couple hours at the most, but we didn't get back home til like 12:30am! lol. Love those girls and enjoyed our last "end-of-semester recap." <3

on the Greenbelt at sunset

last pic in Buena Vista!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on so many internship opportunities! Glad Jed was able to fix your lap top. He's nifty like that.

    ReplyDelete