Sunday, September 30, 2012

September

Alrighty: September is officially on it's way out today.  Better blog about it!

Jed's classes are tolerable, albeit frustrating sometimes.  He is finishing up the last few classes he needs for general education credits so is joined in class by freshman and teachers who expect none of their students to know anything.  He is also taking a communications class so that's a nice buffer.  He's also participating in the school's AAF competition this year which is going to be a fun learning experience and good resume builder.  The unfortunate side is that BYU-I doesn't fund the program as much as competing teams so that will prove a challenge..  Also, a fantastic side-note, we made too much last year so Jed doesn't even get enough in Pell Grant to pay for tuition!  Blarg!

There was some more fun with the administrative side of Jed's schooling once again.  He went to officially change his major declaration from economics to communications and they told him about the newest policy regarding even a lower credit limit before they kick you out and that Jed's options were to graduate now with a university studies degree or drop his minor in humanities.  He tried to fight it but wasn't able to get them to let him go over credit limit so he will not graduate with a minor.  :(  That's the bad news.  The good news is that because of this he will graduate in July 2013 instead of December 2013 so we will be outta here 5 months early and able to get on with our lives and Jed will be able to start his career! 

My classes have been a lot of work but not too bad so far.  Some papers are coming up so I need to get on those, lol.  My drama with my school this last week was that when I went to have an interview about my field placement for this year I asked the field placement liaison how it would work next year since I'm moving and she said that she wasn't sure that they would be able to accommodate that.  I had been told that I would be able to take classes from where ever as long as I bought the necessary equipment to video conference in (which is already what I do from a classroom in Idaho Falls as the professors are in Nampa).  They had told us of students as far away as Thailand doing the program but then they apparently changed some policies this summer and they don't want students who are outside of Idaho anymore.  So I freaked out and thought that I may have to drop out since not everything would transfer to a new program and I didn't want to waste the time and money.  But I emailed the department head and she said that they would work with me since I was already admitted into the program.  Phew!!!  

My work has been stressful and my adult clients have been very difficult lately.  My boss did, however, sign me up for MRT facilitator training October 15-18th and I'm so psyched!!  She said she could pay half so it's only $300 for me to go and a great asset to my career, especially if I want to go into substance abuse counseling and work with those involved in the criminal justice system.  But anyway, I'm trying very hard to learn to forget about work when I'm doing schoolwork and forget about everything else when I'm relaxing (what is that anyway?)..  I've been really stressed and snappy lately.  :( 

Last weekend we had our famous fish taco party and it was a decent turnout and lots of fun.  Jed's buddies Brendon, Alex, and Matt, who live in various parts of Utah, all stayed the night at our place, so that was a good after party too.  :P 





mini mission reunion

Last week we were able to take Daniel and Maddy out for Daniel's birthday and went to Whitewater Grill in Idaho Falls for a fancy Japanese meal.  Everyone got sushi and I got teriyaki.  ^^ 

Edamame appetizer

Daniel's Tornado (shrimp, cream cheese, tuna, avocado)

Maddy's Lion King (snowcrab, salmon, avocado)

Jed's bento dinner with sashimi, nigiri, tenpura veggies, and seaweed salad (also rice and miso!)

my teriyaki tofu with tenpura veggies (also rice and miso passed to Maddy)

my Inarizushi

Shrimp Crunch (shrimp, cucumber, cream cheese, tenpura)

Our garden is slowing down but last week we got a few bits out of it.  It's been a great experience and we're definitely going to make an effort to become better gardeners in years to come.  ^^

zuch, cuc, yellow squash, tomatoes, eggplant

serranos!

Entertainment-wise: the new expansion for WOW, Mists of Pandaria, came out this month so Jed has been playing that and it looks great.  I will get it when I have a little more time to play, lol.  We have both been playing Osmos and Cut the Rope the last week on our phones and they're very fun and addicting games.  Another addiction this week is Rhett and Link's Good Mythical Morning show.  We've been watching various things R&L do but I hadn't really watched GMM until this last week and now I'm hooked every morning!  Check it out, they're pretty funny.  

We have wanted to get out and hike or at least go for walks and geocaching but I am working til 6 or 7 every night and then have class Friday night for 3 hours and Saturday morning for 3 hours so our evenings and weekends are kinda shot.  We're also tired pandas!  Why can't we be spry 20-year-olds again??  ;)  I did get to go swing dancing this week (this was like the 3rd time this year sadly) and that was super nice.  I want to make a more concerted effort to go more because it's super relaxing for me.  :P

2 comments:

  1. yay!! glad stuff with your classes worked out ok. and cut the rope is amazing! the boxes are so much fun :)
    your blog reminds me i should update mine soon -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden kicked our garden's compost this year. Those yellow squash are gorgeous. I'm so jealous. Glad your school worked out, though Jed's is a bummer. Still, graduating earlier - heck yeah!

    ReplyDelete