Monday, October 7, 2013

Hawaii

Sooo Hawaii! Jed's parents took us to Hawaii from August 31 to September 10 as a graduation gift to Jed. They had taken Jed's sister and husband, Melinda and Matt, when they graduated from BYU back in 2007 the same time Jed left on his mission. So it was our turn evidently, woo! 

The days preceding I had been freaking out about what to do about dog sitting Nova and everything worked out so that she would be able to stay home and have first the next door neighbor's 16-year-old daughter and then my friends, Kristen and Austin, come take care of her. I'm just so grateful that worked out so I didn't have to worry about her in a kennel, unfixed and not interacted with much, for almost 2 weeks. @.@ 

dangit, she doesn't fit

We had a ton of fun in Kona, on the big island, Hawaii. We mostly took it slow and chilled out. We stayed in a condo right next to Kanaluu Bay and snorkeled almost every day, sometimes twice a day. 

I was really freaked out at first because I can't tread water and am not good a swimming at all. Oh yea and then there's the fear of water deeper than 5'.. Anyway, I practiced snorkeling in the condo pool for a couple hours the first full day we were there until I got the hang of it. I used a pool noodle for the first part of the week, but by the end of the week I was happily snorkeling in the ocean with just fins, mask, and snorkel. It was very liberating and relaxing, especially at low tide. It was a little more tiring at high tide, working against the waves. We saw lots of awesome fish, morays, some turtles, and even a manta ray! I could seriously float and watch sea turtles pick at the rocks for ever. So awesome. I got pretty used to being in the ocean every day. I could handle living like that!!

suit bought for the trip with my rented gear

underwater disposable cameras aren't the clearest, but, look: proof!

this pic wasn't mine, but i did take some fuzzy turtle pix!

We went to Kealakekua Bay on the Fair Winds Cruise to see the beautiful alive coral, clear water, and tons of awesome fish. The cruise was an excellent experience: the crew was awesome and we got breakfast and lunch. 



Captain Cook Monument

this one wasn't mine either, but it's of the Bay

Much tropical fruit was munched. The grocery stores were horribly expensive, but the open air markets were so cheap! I had my first fresh papaya, starfruit, and dragonfruit, as well as enjoyed lots of bananas, mangoes, and avocados. We ate at a few awesome places like Island Lava Java and Huggo's on the Rocks. 


Island Lava Java brunch

the view from our table at Huggo's

We went to Punaluu Black Sands Beach on our way to Volcanoes National Park... 

black sand!

a lagoon

active volcano!

tropical rain forest outside a lava tube

lava tube!

...and we went to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park. 

tiki

playing papamu

Also saw some fun wildlife, like geckos, got some beautiful jewelry, and saw some wonderful sunsets. I also was able to kick back and read a novel (gasp!): Lauren Oliver's Delirium, which was very good. It was a great vacation and we're very thankful to Jeff and Gale for the opportunity to go to Hawaii and get hooked, lol. We can't wait to go back! 


plumerias and turtles, yay!!

1 comment:

  1. Cool trip! Loved the recap. Next time we want to come too :).

    ReplyDelete