Friday, January 1, 2016

October and Moving Back to Washington

Mid month we flew to Vancouver, WA for a job interview for me on 10/15, a formal meet n greet for Jed, and I also had lunch with my old internship supervisor. We also got to eat Mio sushi and Costa Vida, go for a walk at Heart Lake, and went to the Vancouver Farmers Market with Jed's parents - fulfilling all my favorite things to do in the area. Was a good weekend.


we visited our favorite veg stand and found these beauties

We got to go to our nephew, Steven's, temple sealing on 10/24. Children born after a couple is sealed in an LDS temple are automatically sealed to their parents, but adopted kids get sealed to their parents in a special ceremony in the temple. I got to look after the three kids in the kids' room while they waited for their parents to be ready, which they were all very content to do, and then hold Steven during the ceremony, which he was very angry about since he had just been in dad's arms before I took him, lol. It was a beautiful thing to be there for anyway and we're grateful to have Steven in the fam.



After the temple, we got pizza with Daniel and Maddy before their scheduled c-section a few days later and helped them do some last minute baby shopping!

Jed was in the process of applying for a certain job in Vancouver for months and months in which he was talking with the potential boss, did an "interview," and then had to produce some test material that took all weekend, only to have them say they wanted someone with some experience that he didn't have ... if only they'd told him that initially when he applied. It was a major let down.

I, on the other hand, was offered my new job at the end of the month as a Child and Family Therapist at an agency in Vancouver WA! We had praying for months about whether we should move back to Vancouver, where we had lived for a year before moving to CA, and had decided to move back once we had employment. Living in San Diego was awesome for being close to Jed's grandparents, sister and fam, and some aunts/uncles/cousins, but it's too expensive for us to afford, wasn't giving Jed the opportunity he needed, and just wasn't the environment/culture we prefer. So it's back to the PNW for us!

I worked my tail off my last 2 weeks at Vista Hill getting everything caught up, discharging some clients, and prepping files for the staff taking my clients. I got cold/cough in my penultimate week after not getting sick all year. The worst symptoms were gone in about a week but the cough lasted for weeks. My last day I got to briefly train/orient my replacement, which was pretty cool. It's always amusing when I quit one job and am training my last few weeks and then start a new job and am getting trained. My last day was 11/13.

Farewell breakfast at staff meeting

If you're leaving SoCal and don't know when you'll be able to visit again, where do you go?? Disneyland!! On 11/4 we did a "short" noon-10pm day and hit up all the good stuff in perfect weather.

  • Disneyland Railroad all the way around
  • Indiana Jones - twice 
  • Pirate of the Carribean 
  • Haunted Mansion Holiday - twice 
  • Winnie the Pooh 
  • Big Thunder - twice (I really love this ride, lol) 
  • Mr Toad 
  • Matterhorn - they redid it and it's not as thrilling
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats - love me some miniatures!
  • Star Tours - saw a new film I hadn't seen before that was really good! 
  • Astro Blasters

I love Big Thunder!

Haunted Mansion is so much better with the holiday decor

Dia de los Muertos Minnie candy apples!

30 min Paint the Night Carnival-style parade w/over a million lights - photos didn't do it justice

60th anniversary celebration picture I didn't wanna shell out $50 for, ornament we did shell out for, lol

Pizza Port pasta for lunch, Dole Whip Floats and popcorn for snacks, and Carnation Cafe for dinner

byebye Disney, we hope we can see you next year some time

On 11/8 we did our rounds of so-longs. We got to see Rou-Jia for lunch at Whole Food; visited Daniel and Maddy at their place and got to meet their week-old baby; then headed to Jed's grandparents' place to see them as well as uncles, an aunt, and Jed's sister n fam. 11/9 I also had a farewell lunch with my work bestie, Holly.

Jed and Rou-Jia!

I voluntarily wore a hospital mask when visiting the baby since I had a cough

It was pretty stressful moving, though not as bad as the last couple times since we never unpacked the majority of our stuff, that was still sitting boxed in the garage. Still, I worked up until the last day so had to do all organizing, packing, cleaning, and apartment finding in my "spare time" while working over 40 hours and driving over 15 per week.

I was able to fit a short book in, the prequel to Warm Bodies, The New Hunger, which was pretty good.

 

We managed to pack our entire 2-bedroom apartment worth of stuff into a 7'x7'x8' Pod and 1 car with the help of Matt and Jed's mad Tetris skills. Matt, Melinda, and their mini posse came 11/14 and helped us pack up. We then drove to Jed's aunt and uncle's near Sacramento the next day and to Vancouver the following. We stayed at Jed's parents' for 1.5 weeks while we waited for our apartment to be ready.



I can't believe all our stuff fit into that box 

And, with that, we left California. It was a mixed good/bad 13 months and we'll be sure to visit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment