Sunday, April 1, 2012

progress on this year's goals

At the beginning of the year I didn't set out new year's resolutions so much as just goals to work toward throughout the year.  I guess that's technically a resolution - I resolved to do something.  But most people seem to give up on a resolution when they break it whereas mine are all works in progress.  I thought I'd go ahead and share them for kicks and giggles.

1. Get in better shape
Jed and I are going to the gym as many times as we can per week.  Some weeks it's 6 times and others it's 2 but we try to do 30-60 minutes on the stationary bikes, ellipticals, or cross-country skiiers.  Jed and I have really let ourselves go.  His goal is to loose 25 lbs to get to his ideal weight and my goal is to loose 15 lbs to get to mine.  We want to be slimmed down by the time we can't hide our pudge behind sweatshirts because of the warm weather so we'd better hurry up!

2. Eat more healthfully 
We are eating more veggies and fruits, I'm watching portion sizes since I have a really bad habit of eating far too much, and I'm eating healthy snacks during the day to keep my metabolism up.  Since I started dieting, I'm also drinking an Herbalife shake for breakfast and lunch or just for breakfast on weekdays.

3. Sleep better 
This is still a challenge but I'm getting better.  I'm getting at least 6 hours a night but shooting for 7 or so.  I'm also trying to get into a set sleep schedule since that's apparently good for ya.

4. Take time to take care of myself
I can do better here I think.  When I wrote this I think I was thinking that I need to have time each day to decompress, maybe do some yoga or otherwise chill out instead of keeping myself so busy I don't have time to.  I only went dancing once this semester and I realize that that isn't enough.  I really love it and it helps me destress, so I need to work that into my schedule again instead of not going because I'm too tired from working or arriving home late and having other things to do.  Also, things like staying on top of chiropractic would prolly be in this category.

5. Have a more positive attitude
This is always a work in progress but I think that I have made great strides lately.  I just need to not digress.

6. Pay off as much of debt as possible 
It's only April and we've paid off over $1000 of student and other debt so I think I'm doing alright there.  This goal will go on hold if I start grad school this year, heh.

7. Read
Generally I won't read more than 1-2 novels a year these days (sad, I know), but so far I've read 1.5 this year.  I intend to read more novels and also books that'll help me out with work.  Obviously, though, if I start grad school in August there will be a lot more textbook reading that anything else, lol.

8. Improve church attendance, personal scripture study, personal prayer, and temple worship
I need much more improvement here.  I've just gotten into a lazy phase and I need to get back into the habit of doing the things that make me happiest and draw me to God.

9. Backpack 
The weather hasn't permitted it quite yet, but we are fleshing out our gear in preparation and I'm so stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment