Monday, September 7, 2015

June and July

I've been putting off writing up the summer and then I get to do it twice because this finished post got erased, yay ...

School ended in June so I got a consolidated schedule for the summer at work, which was nice while it lasted. 

a rare good curl day

my view as I come into Temecula during rush hour

We dog sat our friends' foster dog, Nei'la, for 3 weeks before they decided to take her to the humane society. She had some behavior issues that we worked on while she was here. By the time she left, she was no longer resource guarding (food, toys, attention, water bowl..), but was still skittish and stole human food as soon as our backs were turned. She also bit Jed really badly so she was a rough project. 


classical conditioning with kids and dogs, same same

The Steam Summer Sale for video games came this summer and I was actually able to buy games, being the first summer I wasn't in college!! I got 7 games for $30 and Jed got like 11 games I think. My faves have been Crypt of the Necrodancer, Don't Starve, and Ori and the Blind Forest.

Don't Starve is a hilarious survival game

Ori is the most beautiful game I've ever played

We didn't pay our webhosting company on time and they ended up erasing our websites. I was legit grieving the 100s of hours I'd spent on my site, sobbing on the bed. Then a friend told me about a site that archives websites and so luckily, my site was achieved. I was able to save 20,700 words from 48 articles and only lost 5 articles. A friend helped me design a pretty new website and I uploaded (and reformatted, ugh) my articles. I haven't had time to finish any articles lately, but I have like 5 in draft! I am still sharing great articles and thoughts on my professional Twitter

Jed wasn't able to recover his portfolio website. :(

Near the end of June, we got to catch up with Rou-Jia over Korean dinner at Tofu Ka and hanging around Mira Mesa. 


The first weekend of July, we went to the Del Mar Fair. Getting there was stressful and rushed and it was gaudy and overwhelming at night so wasn't an enjoyable experience for me. After an hour drive to get down there, we ended up sitting in traffic for 3 hours going 12 miles only to circle back and park at Jed's grandparents' and walk the 1.5 miles to the fairgrounds. 

We didn't end up getting there til 8:30pm (good thing we had free tickets) so didn't go on any rides but looked at the vendors and got some gross fair food. The battered and fried peanut butter pickle was surprisingly good and the fried zucchini was surprisingly disgusting (that one got trashed). 

We each got to shoot a takedown recurve for far too much money. Jed made me because I was drooling on the booth and then I challenged him. 3 arrows is not enough to get a feel for a new bow at a poundage (20#) and distance (8 yards) neither of us has shot at so we both got 0s




That weekend we got to go to Steven's baby blessing and Adelaide's family dinner for her 5th birthday. It was also really exciting for me to go to church with family (other than Jed of course) for the very first time.
 

In late July, I staged a "mutiny" in which my nieces and nephew "kicked out" their parents and ate junk food, watched movies, and painted nails in their pjs all night with me.. because I'm invested in their socioemotional/scholastic/physical development .. but also in spoiling them and slacking off on a Friday night.



Books:
  • Dust by Hugh Howey: a good conclusion to the trilogy
Movies:
  • Jurassic World: TERRIBLE. Jed had to leave the theatre to control his laughter. It was so bad it was hilarious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment