Thursday, December 29, 2016

Sept 2016

The winding down of summer always makes me sad. But luckily I partied hard with a 2nd backpacking trip and other fun.

The first weekend of September we did a 3 day backpack trip with my dad in my favorite range: the Olympics. High Divide/7 Lakes Basin in Olympic National Park (which we also did in 7/2010). Total 18.5 mi and 3120 ft elev gained then loss. Breakdown was Day 1: 3.7 mi and 1600 ft elev gain. Day 2: 9.2 total mi, 1520 ft elev gain in 4.2 mi and 1720 elev loss in 5.0 mi. Day 3: 5.6 mi and 1360 ft elev loss.

It was cloudy and threatening rain the whole weekend but the only time it actually rained was the exact 5 or so minutes that we had our gear out and were setting up our tent for night 1. Some of our clothes and gear didn't fully dry all weekend, which was pretty uncomfortable.



apple cider and overpriced poncho (bought because we forgot our raincoats) after the rain


Deer Lake

how I roll


#stillworkingthatmacro

so many wild blueberries were had

the "7 lakes"




llamaaaa!

I love wide angle person-dwarfed-by-nature pix

my fave teriyaki place, in my hometown

pup missed us

after eating dehydrated food and meal bars all weekend I got some scurvy-combatants

More Sept in pix!

Nova turned 4! <3

got my nieces travel books on China when they went to pic up their new brother and got him a big panda

speaking of .. this is my new nephew, Jefferson!! I hope to meet him in the spring

Sorted, washed, cut, strained, cooked, and bagged around 50 lbs (handheld estimate) of roma tomatoes from our garden tonight with our new KitchenAid food strainer (what a brilliant invention; quick/easy & hardly any waste) in 4 hours. We opted not to learn to can this year but are freezing our puree to use later. Pumpkins, potatoes, and corn also got harvested and were delicious. 




Work was rough at the beginning of the school year but Nova and I went out and enjoyed the last day of summer together at the dog park. <3 


Been working on our Japanese. In September I was focusing on increasing reading fluency via decoding common words enough to site read and grade 1-2 kanji. 



finally learned to make onigiri and musubi

No comments:

Post a Comment